Tuesday, 3 June 2014

Solder sucker sluggish

I thought one of my solder suckers was a bit sluggish... press the piston release and it would eventually get there... not a lot of use really.

So took it apart...mechanically was all fine, bit of WD40 to lubricate the dual piston O rings... the problem and my surprise was I had 22g (I weighed it) of solder bits in it. Never took this one apart (had it for 11 years!). I've added all the bits and odd lengths of solder to a ceramic cup, I screwed to an old bit of roofing asbestos board that I can heat directly with a small blow torch, adding a bit of flux to make it liquid about 1/4" (6mm) deep and will use for tinning the ends of wires. The old soldering iron I used to use that had a big tip I drilled out and used to dip wires in it died last month.

No comments: